Friday, June 18, 2021
Compassion Fatigue: The Cost of Caring
Mental Health Professionals, join KYC’s Clinical Training Committee in a training opportunity about compassion fatigue.
Speaker Monica Robinson LCSW, has been a therapist for over 20 years with an extensive background in relational trauma treatment, psychodynamic perspectives, and experiential workshops for both professional and personal growth venues. She has supervised new therapists and acts as a consultant for those seeking a trauma informed lens on their clinical work. Monica particularly focuses on the transference and countertransference dynamics between clients and therapists.
It is inherent in working with people around their struggles and successes that health professionals will be affected both personally and professionally in ways that will travel with them when leaving work each day. If health workers are present and engaged, they are changed by this work over time.
Living through the collective, ongoing trauma of a pandemic, amplifies the intensity and pervasive intrusion of vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue.
In this workshop, participants will learn to identify the signals of vicarious trauma and discuss ways to build awareness, strategic responses, and self-compassion for the effects of the daily trauma load they inevitably carry.
Workshop participants are invited to reflect on their experiences and develop methods of self-care that will sustain them through their work as well as support them in their personal lives.
This interactive training will:
- Define and explore the meaning of vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue on health workers, their work, and their teams.
- Identify the impact of a shared trauma, both professionally and personally.
- Identify the effects of the multiple losses of the past year on the development of vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue.
- Discuss the impact on view of self, the larger world, and our sense of safety.
- Normalize the shame and isolation that many in the helping professions experience.
- Identify strategies and tools for self-care: both professionally and personally.
3 CEU’s available for LCPC/LPC, LCSW/LSW, LMFT/LFT, CADC, Counselor II, Preventionist II, CARS II, CODP II, PCGC II, CRSS II, CCJP II, CVSS II, CPRS II, MAATIP II, CFPP II & NCRS II
Date: June 18, 2021
Time: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Location: Virtual, hosted by Kenneth Young Center. Meeting information will be sent to registered participants.
RSVP: Non-KYC Staff Mental Health Professionals are welcome to join. The cost of attendance is $35.
Kenneth Young Center Staff Members are encouraged to attend at no cost.
Please contact Cheri Seley to RSVP or with questions.
Click here to view the flyer.